Division Two fixture cancelled with a number of Surrey squad going into isolation
Surrey’s opening match in the divisional stage of the County Championship, against Durham at Chester-le-Street, has been cancelled following a positive Covid-19 test.
The unnamed member of Surrey’s squad returned a positive result ahead of the Division Two match, which was due to start on Monday. In a statement, the ECB said a “significant number” of Surrey squad members had been deemed close contacts.
“The player has begun to self-isolate along with a significant number of the Surrey squad who have been identified as close contacts,” the statement said.
“Due to the required isolation protocols and the extensive impact on Surrey’s available playing squad, reluctantly the decision has been made that the match will not go ahead.”
The board is due to make a decision on how points for the fixture will be awarded.
There were also a number of Covid-19 cases during the Hundred, although none resulted in games being cancelled.